Dallin H. Oaks Sees the Dead Raised
Dallin was repairing a mowing machine with his Grandfather when his Aunt asked if they'd seen her boy Sterling. Dallin had seen him twenty or thirty minutes ago walking towards the barn.
"Grandpa sent me running down the ditch in the front of the house about a quarter of a mile to the end of our property with instructions to come back up the other ditch to meet him," Dallin recalled, "Running as fast as my legs would carry me I followed the large concrete ditch.
Just as Dallin and his grandfather met, Grandpa cried out, reached into the ditch and pulled out Sterling's body. "He was floating face down and as Grandpa lifted him. I could see that his face was bloated. He had been floating facedown for 20 to 30 minutes."
"He was not breathing. There was no sign of a heartbeat. He was dead. As the water drained from his mouth, I pressed his little sides as you do for artificial respiration. As I did so my grandfather, sobbing with anguish but with great dignity gave the lifeless body a blessing of the priesthood." Later Dallin could not remember the exact words of the blessing but never forgot the "impression that he was blessing or commanding him to live until help could be obtained."
Sterling began to breath and recovered his heartbeat. "He suffered no after-effects, filling a mission to Australia, marrying a lovely girl, and living an exemplary life as a Latter-day Saint husband and father.
In His Hands (author unknown)
Comments
Post a Comment