Karl Maeser and the Gift of Tongues
On October 14th, 1855 in Dresden Germany, Professor Karl G. Maeser was about to be baptized in the River Elbe by Elder Franklin D. Richards. Professor Maeser prayed "that his faith might be confirmed by a manifestation from Heaven and he felt confident that his prayer would be answered." As he stepped out of the river there was no manifestation or miracle. No matter. He was sure it would come. Conversing, Dr. Maeser and Elder Richards walked home.
A young missionary translated since Dr. Maeser spoke no English and Elder Richards spoke no German. They were not walking far when Elder Richards told the young missionary they didn't need an interpreter. "Brother Maeser and I understand each other perfectly." They kept up their conversation. Dr. Maeser in German and Elder Richards in English. "Brother Maeser did not know English and I did not know German, but I could speak with him and he with me. The Spirit wrought with us and filled us with faith."
From The Life of Franklin D. Richards
Comments
Post a Comment